We offer free shipping on all orders over $250.
Prebiotics VS Probiotics
You have most likely heard about probiotics before, but prebiotics may be completely new to you! What is the difference between the two? Although prebiotics get less attention, they are just as important for gut health.
Both of them work to heal the gut by restoring friendly flora and by providing a ton of other benefits. Optimizing your gut health can help you lose weight, improve your mood, reverse your risk for chronic disease, and give you more energy.
In order to keep my microbiome in check, I always start my day with 2 teaspoons of the Super Elixir Alkalizing Formula. One of the many things I love about this powerhouse multivitamin is that it contains both prebiotics & probiotics.
When healthy bacteria predominate in your gut, you glow from within.
Come and #GetGlowingWithUs !
What is the difference between the two?
- Nourish good bacteria
- Feed our friendly bacteria and promote a healthy gut environment
- Are dietary fibers (meaning it’s non-digestible)
- They act as a fertilizer for the good bacteria in your gut
- They bypass the small intestine and head straight to the colon (to be considered a prebiotic, an ingredient must resist small intestine absorption)
- Replenish good bacteria
- Are live bacteria
- Are known as the “good” bacteria your body needs, helping it control the growth of “bad” bacteria
- They need prebiotics to survive in the gut
- Are bio-live (meaning that their superpowers are affected by heat, acid, and time)
Prebiotic rich foods…
They help with achieving overall health and wellbeing, fermenting and producing acids in the lower gut, and enabling the growth of “good” bacteria in the large intestine.
They basically act as a fertilizer for good bacteria
- Green tea
Photo credit @perpetuallychic
Probiotics rich foods…
They help boost our immune systems, help with digestion, and assist our bodies to better break down polyphenols & flavonoids and better absorb minerals, calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium and other nutrients. Probiotics also help balance pH levels, improve metabolism, and regulate cholesterol.
- Fermented veggies
- Traditional sourdough bread
- Sauerkraut & Kimchi
- Brined olives
Photo credit: @minimalistbaker
HOw do the super elixir and nourishing protein help?
Both the Super Elixir Alkalizing Formula and Nourishing Protein contain a complete probiotic blend, such as Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Bigidobacterium Lactis and Bifidobaterium Longum.
These two products also contain guar gum (AKA the super awesome prebiotic). Guar gum is a non-digestible complex carbohydrate that’s been extracted from the seeds of the guar plant, giving your gut the prebiotic supplement it craves. It can help ferment and produce acids in the lower gut, enabling the growth of good bacteria in the large intestine. Guar gum is high in soluble fiber and low in calories.
why is MAINTAINING gut health SO important?
Research is finding that microbial population affects a wide range of conditions and overall wellbeing.
Did you know that 70% of the body’s serotonin actually resides in the gut? Serotonin influences the mood and emotions. When it’s level are low, you may find yourself experiencing starch cravings, low self-esteem, aggressive and/or depressive behaviour, and low mood.
This is just one example of how what happens in the gut is connected not only to our physical wellbeing, but to our mental one as well.
HOw can you imPRove your gut microbiome?
- Include pre and probiotic rich foods into your diet
- Limit your intake of artificial sweeteners
- Eat whole grains
- Increase your fibre intake
- Manage your stress
- Avoid taking antibiotics and if you do, make sure to take pre & probiotics supplements on the daily in order to help restore your gut flora and better support your system.
Make the concerted effort to place your gut microbiome at the forefront of your health & wellness goals.
Live your life. Adopt the Global Glow Lifestyle.